Thursday, April 1, 2010

Alexander Observation

This past week we focused on the arms in my Alexander class. It was very interesting for me because I've had so many problems with my shoulders and hands. In learning to release the hand and arm, I discovered a pleasant effect on my horn playing. It actually got easier. Weird that your hand can affect your embouchure. Releasing the excess tension in my left hand on the keys in turn released the pressure between my mouthpiece and my face, and my facility on the overtone series went through the roof. Everything felt so light and easy, and shifting between registers was a cinch. My finger dexterity is also improving because I don't have all that excess tension. Remember to look into your whole-selves on occasion. You can discover some great benefits by checking in and inhibiting excess tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment