Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What Really Makes the Embouchure?

As some of you may know, I've been having some trouble with my facial muscles lately. A few weeks ago I overplayed, and this was followed by a very intense week of rehearsals and performances which caused me to overplay again. I think that somewhere along those two intense weeks, I injured something in the right side of my face, and continued playing demands have continued to stress the muscles since. I've tried ice and massage, neither of which was very helpful with swelling or stiffness. I have had some success the past few days with heat.

Because of my Alexander Technique course, I've started wondering what muscles we use and how they work when we're playing. The injury to my muscles that I've been dealing with for the past couple of weeks has also fueled this desire for knowledge. I was astounded by how many muscles and layers of muscle go into playing the horn. If any of us hears a muscle name, it's the obicularis oris, but that's just one of many muscles we use. Other muscles we use include the masseter muscle, which allows us to drop the jaw, the buccinator, which tightens the cheeks towards the teeth while we play, and the triangularis (depressor anguli oris) and zygomaticus major and minor muscles, which create the tension that allows us to play as they pull contrary to the obicularis oris. I'm discovering that refining my body map of where the muscles in my face are and how they work is making me more aware of how I use them when I'm playing. It's also helping me to pinpoint the source of my trouble beyond the vague awareness of jaw or lip pain. If you'd like to get more acquainted with your facial muscles check out this we
bsite. It has links to information on nerves, muscles, bones, and anything else you can think of that is on your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment