Sunday, April 18, 2010

Finding Value

Finding value in unpleasant or stressful situations can be a real challenge. I just went through comps a couple of weeks ago, and that was one of those situations. They're so stressful, and require so much work, it's hard to maintain a positive attitude. Honestly, though, it was kind of nice to stretch my legs in the world of horn pedagogy. I discovered just how much I have learned up to this point. It also reaffirmed that I am ready to be turned out into the "real world" and will be okay. I think maintaining a positive attitude during these tests really helped. Sometimes we don't see the positive in unpleasant situations, and we choose instead to focus on the stress or unpleasantness. I know I've experienced this in regards to rehearsals or ensembles that I didn't necessarily want to be in at the time. It's always important to stay focused on a positive attitude and making music. It can make otherwise unpleasant situations more enjoyable, and will probably help reduce your stress level as well. Negative thinking can be really detrimental, both to our playing and our health, so try to stay positive!

No comments:

Post a Comment